italianingenio.net

automatic translation

Research on safe packaging for food rewards glass

Food packaging is crucial for todayโ€™s globalized food system, but food contact materials can also be a source of dangerous chemicals migrating into foodstuffs. An international research has confirmed that the safest packaging for consumers’ health is glass and ceramic.

The primacy of glass

Research, published in the journal “Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition”, has identified about 3000 chemicals that can leak from packaging into food, making human exposure to these substances highly probable. More precisely, the study revealed that of the 2,881 Food Contact Chemicals detected, only 47 were identified in glass or ceramic packaging; a result that amounted to less than 2%.

Worse outcomes for plastic and paper

In contrast, for plastic containers the percentage approaches 70%, with 1975 chemicals detected. While for paper and cardboard it slightly exceeds 30% (887).
As stated by Adeline Farrelly, secretary general of FEVE (Fรฉdรฉration Europรฉenne du Verre d’Emballage), “the study shows that glass is safest among the packaging materials as it has virtually no detected chemicals and therefore is the safest for human health”.

packaging
Source: tandfonline.com

Towards deeper research

Another insight from the study is that only 35% of the Food Contact Chemicals found were known. The remaining 65% were not recorded in any regulatory or industry list to date.
There is therefore a significant knowledge gap to fill on food contact legislation, as Farrelly suggests. “Life Cycle Assessment methodologies on packaging must take into account chemicals, including hazardous ones, used in food contact packaging materials that can potentially leak into the environment”.

Sources: glass-international.com, tandfonline.com

Read also: Issues and goals of the Indian pharma packaging industry
Stay up to date on the latest news from the B2B world, follow us on LinkedIn!

Please complete the form below to receive further information

Our team of experts is happy to answer your questions. Fill out the form and weโ€™ll be in touch as soon as possible.

    Enter your full name

    Enter a valid email

    Read our Privacy Policy

    Enter a brief message

    Articoli correlati

    Latest news